| UN experts have called on world governments to "impose sanctions on Israel for its continued violations of international law and ..." |
|
UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Francesca Albanese: Sydney-Middle East Times Int'l: UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Francesca Albanese stated that what is happening in the Gaza Strip does not deserve to be called a ceasefire. She said that Israel killed nearly 300 Palestinians in Gaza in one month, leaving survivors to starve and drown in flooded tents. UN experts called on world governments to pressure Israel to stop its ongoing violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza, demanding sanctions and a comprehensive arms embargo on Tel Aviv. The experts' statement, distributed by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said that "Israel's continued violations of the ceasefire regime in the Gaza Strip threaten the fragile truce." According to the statement, "Since the ceasefire was declared on October 11, Israel has committed at least 393 violations, resulting in the deaths of 339 Palestinians, including more than 70 children, and injuries to more than 871 others." The statement noted that the airstrikes carried out on October 28 were the "deadliest" since the ceasefire came into effect, killing "at least 104 Palestinians." The experts, including the UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories, Francesca Albanese, urged all states to "act immediately to stop attacks against civilians and ensure the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian aid, including medical assistance." The UN experts also called on governments worldwide to "impose sanctions on Israel for its continued violations of international law and its illegal occupation, and to impose a comprehensive arms embargo." The experts pointed out that the amount of humanitarian aid reaching Gaza remains "insufficient," while "key medical facilities remain out of service." According to the statement, there are ongoing reports of "gunfire, clashes, artillery shelling, and airstrikes" in all five governorates of the Gaza Strip, despite the declared ceasefire. The statement asserts that "the continued Israeli attacks on the Palestinian population in Gaza constitute a flagrant violation of the ceasefire agreement." The experts also noted in their statement "the continued attacks by Israeli settlers against Palestinians in the West Bank." The statement further indicated that "more than 58% of Gaza's territory remains under Israeli military control, while 40 Israeli facilities continue to operate beyond the agreed-upon withdrawal line, which is a clear violation of the ceasefire terms." Israeli authorities maintain that the strikes carried out by their army in the Gaza Strip after the ceasefire declaration were "in response to violations" by Hamas of the ceasefire. For its part, Hamas warned that Israel's continued violations jeopardize the ceasefire agreement and place a responsibility on the mediators and the US administration to restrain Tel Aviv. At the beginning of last month, Hamas and Israel agreed to a US-proposed ceasefire plan and began exchanging prisoners and detainees as part of the first phase of the agreement. |