Nicholas Tadros, 10, suffers major set back in recovery and may have right
(See translation in Arabic section)
Sydney - Middle East Times Int’l: A 10-year-old boy injured in the horror Gold Coast helicopter crash – which killed his mother – has suffered a “major setback” in his recovery, a family friend has revealed.
Nicholas Tadros was in the helicopter with his mother when the vehicle crashed into another aircraft near Sea World on the Gold Coast on January 2.
A family friend took to social media to share an update on Nicholas’ recovery and revealed the tragic setback.
“There's been a major setback with Nicholas' progress. Nicholas' operation couldn’t be completed today and (the doctors) have come back with some sad news,” the friend wrote on Facebook.
“Nicholas may need to have his right foot amputated. Nicholas will need all your prayers over the next couple weeks before surgeons try again.”
Nicholas’ mother, Vanessa Tadros, 36, had been farewelled and laid to rest by the family in Sydney’s west just days before the tragic update.
The ten-year-old boy was placed in an induced coma and has remained in hospital receiving treatment since the crash nearly three weeks ago but he is now awake and still requiring a ventilator.
Nicholas’ family friend called on the public to keep the boy in their prayers as his father Simon has not yet told his son that his mother was killed in the crash.
“We really need to continue praying for Simon as well to get him through this tough time as he will have to face Nicholas in the coming days to let him know his mum has been taken to heaven and also let him know that he may be losing a foot, which will be a major blow to Nicholas' mental state of mind,” the friend wrote.
NSW Labor supports treaty consultations with Indigenous community if elected
NSW Labor has committed to starting treaty discussions with Indigenous communities if elected in March.
It will commit $5 million towards a year-long consultation on the legally binding agreement between the government and Indigenous Australians.
But Labor leader Chris Minns said the consultation process will begin after the referendum on the Voice later this year— and will go ahead regardless of the outcome.
"I think it'll be a big challenge and it's not going to be a straight line, but we've got to start that process," he said.
"We cannot be one of only two states in the entire country that hasn't begun a process to treaty in Australia."
NSW has the largest population of First Nations peoples in the country.
But unlike almost all other states and territories, it's yet to take formal steps towards a treaty.
The process will determine whether First Nations communities want a treaty or agreement-making process, and if so, what that would look like.
It's a commitment the opposition also took to the 2019 state election.
The NSW Aboriginal Land Council's Dr Anne Dennis believes it's a step in the right direction.
"The pathway to treaty will really clearly define how we're going to work together in the future and keep working," she said.
"We ask the people of NSW, we ask the people of Australia to get behind and support this."
Mr Minns insists a treaty process will be led by First Nations communities from the outset.
NZ PM Jacinda Ardern calls it a day at the top after almost six eventful years
In October 2017, one week changed Jacinda Ardern's life. On the Friday, she discovered she would become a mother; by the following Thursday, she was delivered the office of the prime minister of New Zealand.
Nearly six years later, as she resigned, Ardern reminded New Zealand's press gallery that she never expected to be prime minister.
She had no idea how the collision of her major life and career milestones would reverberate around the world.
In New Zealand, it was possible to be 37, prime minister, a mother and a partner.
While US President Donald Trump had tantrums every 140 characters and the United Kingdom tried to leave the European Union, Jacinda Ardern and baby Neve were at the UN General Assembly, talking about kindness.
While the world will rightly remember her achievements and her compassion in times of crisis, it would do well to also remember the hate she was forced to withstand.
Ardern was reportedly on her way to a school event in the coastal town of New Plymouth when her press secretary handed her a phone with the police minister on the other end of the line.
There had been a major attack in Christchurch and there were mass casualties. The city's Muslim community were the target.
It was March 15, 2019, and eventually the prime minister would learn that the worst terrorist attack in her country's history had happened on her watch. Fifty people were dead.
Ardern's immediate response to the attack once again propelled her onto the international stage.
In the days afterwards, she visited members of Christchurch's Muslim community, sat with families, helped crime scene experts navigate cultural rituals around death and moved to change gun legislation in New Zealand.
International audiences had seen this young leader at the UN with her baby, on late night talk show couches in New York and now there was an image of Jacinda Ardern dressed in black and wearing a hijab, holding her people as they grieved.
Aya Al-Umari's brother Hussein was one of the 50 men killed while they worshipped in Christchurch that day.
Upon hearing the news of Ms Ardern's resignation, she said: "I will never forget her approachability during the outset of March 15, forever grateful for making my mum feel like the PM, listened to and really just human."
Minister Chris Bowen says price cap is helping to reduce energy prices
Energy Minister Chris Bowen has defended the government's energy relief plan, issuing new figures that show a drop in forecast wholesale electricity prices for 2023.
The plan, which was announced in December last year, included a price cap on gas and coal.
Gas producers in particular have been vocal in their complaints about the cap and some were reluctant to sign new contracts with retailers, citing uncertainty.
However, Mr Bowen said new treasury analysis based on ASX data showed the government's plan to reduce prices was working.
"Today, figures released show that that intervention, while we still have some way to go, we still have more work to do, is having an impact," he said.
Treasury has compared forecast wholesale prices before and after the government announced its energy price relief plan.
It showed Queensland retailers paid 44 per cent less per megawatt hour to lock in future electricity supplies on December 21 compared to November 30. There was a 38 per cent reduction in NSW, 32 per cent reduction in South Australia and 29 per cent in Victoria.
The reduction in wholesale electricity prices will take some time to flow through to households.
The government said households should expect to pay $230 less than they would have in 2023-34.
However, Mr Bowen couldn't put a timeline on when that relief would occur.
"The next key indicator will be the release by the Australian Energy Regulator of the draft Default Market Offer in February," he said.
The final offer will come out in May.
Boy, 17, charged with terrorism, possession offences
A teenage girl has escaped further detention over stabbing a fellow student at an Adelaide private school. The now… 15-year-old came up behind her victim in the toilets at the school in August last year and stabbed the year 12 student in the shoulder.
A teenage boy is behind bars after a specialist terrorism unit charged him with possession offences, including “intent to kill or harm.”
On Friday, South Australian Police officers from the Counter Terrorism and Security Section arrested the 17-year-old boy from Felixstow.
He was charged with possessing an item with intent to kill or cause harm.
The boy appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court on Friday, where he was refused bail.
He was remanded in custody to reappear in court on Wednesday, January 25.
Police said the investigation was ongoing.
There are no safety concerns for the public.
Risk of more deaths at sea will skyrocket under Italy’s new immigration rules, says European human rights group
The main goal of a new immigration decree signed by the Italian government is to hinder the work of humanitarian ships which rescue people at sea, inevitably provoking more deaths in the Mediterranean, warned the Euro-Med Monitor human rights group.
“Urgent provisions for the management of migratory flows” was launched by Italy’s new far-right government and took effect on January 3, 2023. It establishes a new code of conduct for non-governmental organisations (NGOs) carrying out rescues at sea.
According to the decree, ships must promptly notify Italian authorities of any ongoing search and rescue (SAR) operations, co-ordinate with the authorities to request a port of unloading, and provide all authorisations and equipment for each rescue. In short, ships must do what they already do.
The problem in practice is that the centres themselves do not respond punctually to requests, and that they pass on responsibilities to one other, leaving packed ships stranded at sea for many days.
“An immediate effect of the Decree is implying that up until now, NGOs provided sea operations in complete self-rule—i.e. without following any law—but that now, thanks to the new Italian government, some rules have been finally imposed,” explained Michela Pugliese, Legal Researcher at Euro-Med Monitor.
Under the decree, procedures for applying for international protection are to start onboard, which is illegal for both masters of Italian ships as well as those flying the flag of another State. A second illegal rule is the attempt to outlaw trans-shipments, when a smaller ship transfers the shipwrecked to a larger ship to continue operating other rescues, as well as to ban multiple rescues.
Another concern is that Italian authorities are now indicating a safe port located very far from the area in which rescues have previously taken place, requiring ships to spend days navigating far up the Mediterranean to northern Italian cities of Livorno, Ancona, or Ravenna.
Scammers tap into funds for flood victims in Western Australia
The Consumer Protection department in Western Australia has issued a warming about scammers using a fake Instagram account to trick people into donating to help flood victims in Fitzroy Crossing in the Kimberly region.
Leedal Pty Ltd is an Indigenous-owned organisation in Fitzroy Crossing and Leedal Foundation Ltd is its registered charity. The charity has so far raised over $66,000 through their Facebook fundraiser page to benefit flood-affected people who have lost their homes and belongings.
The scammers have targeted people who have already donated to Leedal’s fundraiser page by sending them a private message through the fake Instagram page thanking them for their donation. When the donor replies, they then ask if they would like to further assist by purchasing Amazon ecards to supposedly buy items for flood victims.
Leedal Foundation has confirmed they do not have an Instagram account and are shocked that scammers are trying to benefit from the devastating impact of the floods.
Commissioner for Consumer Protection Trish Blake said people needed to be alert to such online frauds.
“Scammers will often use social media to lure victims in as it can easily appear like a legitimate charity,” Ms Blake said.
“Consumers should never respond to random messages on social media and do not hand over personal information including email addresses, phone numbers or bank details to people you do not know.
“To further protect yourself before donating, check that an established charity or not-for-profit organisation is licensed with Consumer Protection or registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC).”
Consumers who believe they have lost money to a fake charity or become aware of a scam, are asked to report it to WA ScamNet online at www.scamnet.wa.gov.au or call 1300 30 40 54.
Islamic Finance summit in Gambia to discuss role in African economies
THE 10th African Islamic Finance Summit (AIFS) will be held in Gambia, West Africa, on February 22, 2023, followed by a two-day post event workshop.
The main objective of this event is to designate the significance of Islamic finance, its sustainability, impact on economy and society and opportunities for Africa.
West Africa is the emerging market for Islamic banking and finance; Anglophone Nigeria and Francophone Senegal are the hub.
Muhammad Zubair Mughal is the chief executive officer of the AlHuda Centre of Islamic Banking and Economics and United Arab Emirates-based organiser of this event.
He said Africa was the second largest destination for Islamic finance.
“Anglophone countries have advantages in terms of human resource, literature availability and experts availability while Francophone countries facing many constraints for human resources, literatures, experts and accessibility to advance markets,” he said.
“By understanding these challenges, AlHuda CIBE is creating this opportunity.”
With the conference to be held in French, he believes it will play an important role for creating awareness.
He was convinced that African leaders were moving in right direction for the development of the region and they will consider significance of Islamic financial system for their socio-economic objectives.
The agenda of this event is about a brief introduction of Islamic finance in historical development, regulatory challenges, and opportunities. It will describe how Islamic financial system plays a role for financial inclusion, Shariah compliance governance and framework, and for the implementation of Shariah audit system to regulate the Islamic financial industry.
Australian PM Albanese leads service to remember 84 victims of Granville train disaster in 1977
Excerpts of speech by Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at a memorial service to mark the 46th anniversary of the Granville train disaster in Sydney.
“Even with the passage of 46 years, the anniversary of the Granville Train Disaster sits so heavily in the soul of the nation.
Six years after the NSW Parliament made its apology to the victims, survivors and first responders, I am grateful to have this moment to extend my sorrow and regret to everyone whose life was changed utterly and tragically that day.
For the people boarding Train No. 108 on the morning of January 18, 1977, it was, of course, just another day. That morning they walked out of their front doors, in all likelihood barely even giving a thought to how — like clockwork — they would return home that evening. It wasn’t to be.
For most of us, what remains of Granville nearly half a century on is a collection of distressing images and written records. Photographs of emergency workers, stretchers lining the railway tracks, and machinery shifting rubble. Accounts from those who were there.
For those who were there, the survivors and first responders, and for family, friends and communities of the victims, the words and images that remain are precious artefacts of those who died.
The 84 who died that day. The hundreds broken in body and wounded in spirit. The first responders and volunteers who worked in heat and danger to assist the injured and comfort the dying.
We hold them all in our hearts; we carry them with us. They are part of us and always will be.
Boosting Tech Central’s R&D Infrastructure
A high-tech multiuse facility that provides critical infrastructure to the artificial intelligence, Medtech, space, and robotics sectors is among four projects set to share in $8 million, as part of the NSW Government’s Tech Central Research and Innovation Infrastructure Fund.
Minister for Science, Innovation and Technology Alister Henskens said the successful projects will provide specialised equipment and deliver collaborative programs with a focus on existing industry and research strengths across the Tech Central Innovation District which stretches from Surry Hills to Camperdown.
“The NSW Liberal and Nationals Government is committed to translating our state’s incredible R&D capabilities into tangible outcomes that create new jobs and industries, which will grow the economy and help secure a brighter future for the people of NSW,” Mr Henskens said.
“Tech Central already boasts tech giant Atlassian as an anchor tenant, three world-leading universities, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and over 100 research institutes.
“Its status as a nation-leading centre of innovation and development will be enhanced by these projects, harnessing the power of local expertise to bring significant physical and digital infrastructure across its target industries and research areas, from the University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney and ARIA Research.”
NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer Professor Hugh Durrant-Whyte said the Fund brings further innovation, R&D and industry talent to Tech Central that will complement existing tenants.
NSW Government launches $40 million biosciences fund for innovative startups
Startups will be supported to develop and commercialise problem-solving products, devices and systems in the biological sciences space through a new $40 million NSW Government program.
Minister for Science, Innovation and Technology Alister Henskens said the Biosciences Fund (BioSF) provides a platform for NSW’s best minds and most agile new businesses to solve pressing issues in areas such as health and the environment.
“This new program will provide financial and entrepreneurial support for startups developing cutting-edge technologies, helping navigate the often difficult transition between early-stage development and commercial success,” Mr Henskens said.
“The $40 million fund will boost the NSW Government’s support of innovative researchers, startups and entrepreneurs in the biological sciences space over the next four years, and is modelled on our highly successful Physical Sciences Fund.
“We want to foster fresh ideas and innovations that will address challenges in energy, health, the environment and waste, and grow successful businesses that create new jobs and industries that will help secure a brighter future for NSW.”
The BioSF will consider applications that target one of the three priority industries identified in the NSW Industry Development Framework – agriculture/agrifoods, medical and life sciences, and clean energy and waste – while also aligning with specific technology applications outlined in the 20-Year R&D Roadmap.
NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer Professor Hugh Durrant-Whyte said the BioSF will build on areas where NSW has a competitive advantage.