Immigration Minister says he is still ‘thoroughly considering’ visa cancellation
11 January 2022
(See Translation in Arabic Section)
Canberra- - M E Times Int'l: Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has released a statement saying he is still “thoroughly“ considering whether to cancel Novak Djokovic’s visa, amid increasing pressure for the government to make a decision.
About 24 hours after the Federal Court quashed the government’s decision to cancel the world No. 1’s visa, a spokesperson for Mr Hawke said he was still considering his options.
It is appearing unlikely a decision will be made on Tuesday.
“As noted yesterday in the Federal Circuit and Family Court, Minister Hawke is considering whether to cancel Mr Djokovic’s visa under section 133c (3) of the Migration Act,” the spokesperson said.
“In line with due process, Minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter.
“As the issue is ongoing, for legal reasons, it is inappropriate to comment further.”
The ongoing drama surrounding the unvaccinated 34-year-old has been slammed by Opposition leader Anthony Albanese, who on Tuesday accused Prime Minister Scott Morrison of waiting for problems to become a crisis.
“The fact is that this has been botched completely by the Australian government,” Mr Albanese said.
“It’s been botched because the Australian government is led by someone who always waits for a problem to become a crisis before they act.”
Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce conceded he had misread the situation.
Mr Joyce said he thought it would have been “game, set, match” for Djokovic to be deported.
“I got it wrong, I thought he’d be game, set, match that he hadn’t been double vaxxed and he would have been asked to go,” he told reporters.
“But I got it wrong. So, I’m not going to pretend to be a solicitor again.”
Davis Cup winner and retiring Liberal federal MP John Alexander said he was against deporting Djokovic.
“The judge has been abundantly clear in his findings and his comments around the finding, saying essentially what more could this man have done to meet the criteria that had been set down,” Mr Alexander told ABC radio.
“It was a pretty emphatic decision. The minister does have the right to overrule that, but it would appear that Djokovic is not a threat to Australian society.”
“Scott Morrison tried to blame the Victorian government, he tried to blame Tennis Australia. But understand this, only the federal government can issue a visa,” she told Sunrise.
“They should have been clear about what his vaccination status was, and whether or not he was safe to enter the country.”
Late on Monday, Judge Anthony Kelly ordered Djokovic to be released immediately, finding the “rules were not observed” when a delegate made the decision at the airport to cancel the visa last Thursday.
“The point I’m somewhat agitated about is what more could this man have done,” Judge Kelly said.
Court documents have confirmed that Djokovic was relying on the fact he had tested positive to Covid on December 16 as a medical exemption for not being vaccinated.
Rollout of vaccine for five-11 years olds as COVID cases drop significantly
Sydney: New South Wales Premier Dominic Perrottet has marked the beginning of the next step in the national vaccine rollout as the state reports 20,293 COVID cases and 18 additional deaths overnight.
Children aged five to 11-years-old are now eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine as the rollout continues with a focus on getting jabs into the arms of students before they begin the new school year in just a couple of weeks.
Mr Perrottet reassured parents the vaccination hubs are a "very kid-friendly environment" and are “highly supportive to ensure there’s enough comfort for anxious parents and children as we go through this period".
"We know the vaccination and our booster program has ben incredibly well run, both through the Commonwealth and state governments working together and I know we’ll get through this rollout well as we have in the past," he said.
Monday's case figures mark a significant drop in daily infections than the day before which saw 30,062 new cases.
The Premier spruiked NSW’s vaccination rates as he urged all eligible residents to come forward for a booster shot, warning that half of the 159 people in ICU with COVID are unvaccinated.
“The numbers don’t lie. The best way of staying safe, keeping safe is getting boosted. That’s been the strength in our state over the course of the last six months," Mr Perrottet said.
"[I] never believed we’d get to this strong position but we are here because of the efforts and the sacrifices that people have made right across NSW.
“So as we move through what will be a difficult few weeks for our state and around the country I know NSW is in a very strong position because of the efforts people have made right across our state."
Councillor Donna Davis elected new Lord Mayor of Parramatta
Sydney: City of Parramatta Council has elected Councillor Donna Davis as its new Lord Mayor, only the third woman to lead the City in its 160-year history.
Councillor Sameer Pandey was also tonight appointed Deputy Lord Mayor, at the first meeting of the new Council following the 4 December local government elections.
"It’s a privilege to have been elected Lord Mayor of the City of Parramatta,” Cr Davis said.
“I’m excited to lead this inclusive and diverse Council, which in this term includes a record-breaking number of women. Thank you to my colleagues for placing their trust in me to lead our great City.
“I’d also like to thank all the former councillors who have contributed to making Parramatta the vibrant City it is today. I look forward to working in partnership with our community to ensure the City of Parramatta continues to grow and flourish.”
"Since the new Council boundaries of the City of Parramatta were formed, the vitality of our City has strengthened. I am proud to be the first female Lord Mayor of the City of Parramatta."
"I pay tribute to all former Lord Mayors, particularly Councillor Lorraine Wearne and Julia Finn.”
Current Councillor Lorraine Wearne was the first female Lord Mayor at the former Parramatta City Council from 2000-2001 and 2011-2012, while Julia Finn held the top position from 2004-2005.
Cr Davis, a member of the Australian Labor Party who represents the Epping Ward, was first elected to City of Parramatta Council in September 2017.
Labor’s Sameer Pandey, who represents the Parramatta Ward and is serving his second term as a Councillor for City of Parramatta Council, became the first Deputy Lord Mayor from the Indian subcontinent.
Cr Pandey said: “I would like to thank my colleagues for their confidence in electing me as Deputy Lord Mayor. I look forward to working with everyone at City of Parramatta Council to achieve the best we can for our community.”
The City of Parramatta Councillors are:
• Pierre Esber (Labor)
• Kellie Darley (Independent)
• Michelle Garrard (Our Local Community)
• Donna Davis (Labor)
• Lorraine Wearne (Lorraine Wearne Independents)
• Cameron Maclean (Labor)
North Rocks Ward
• Ange Humphries (Labor)
• Georgina Valjak (Independent)
• Donna Wang (Our Local Community)
• Henry Green (Our Local Community)
• Sameer Pandey (Labor)
• Phil Bradley (Greens)
• Patricia Prociv (Labor)
• Dan Siviero (Our Local Community)
• Paul Noack (Labor)
Councillor information is available at: cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/council/lord-mayor-and-councillors
What will property prices look like 2022?
Sydney: It's not great news for first home buyers.
Prices are expected to rise again in 2022 before falling in 2023 (although not enough to wipe out the gains of the current boom).
NAB has forecast a 4.9 per cent lift in property values in 2022 and a 4 per cent fall in 2023.
ANZ's outlook is a 6 per cent price hike next year and 4 per cent drop in 2023.
The Commonwealth Bank expects house prices to rise 7 per cent next year, and is forecasting the biggest price drop in 2023 out of the major banks, of 10 per cent.
Westpac expects an 8 per cent rise in 2022 and 5 per cent correction in 2023.
Brisbane and Adelaide lead nation in housing price rises at start of 2022
Brisbane and Adelaide have got the jump on the rest of Australia with a surge in home values over the holiday period
According to CoreLogic, Brisbane and Adelaide housing prices rose more than 2.3 per cent and 2.2 per cent respectively in the month ending January 9.
Melbourne GP clinic forced to cancel kids’ appointments after jabs not delivered
Melbourne: A vaccine Melbourne doctor says she had been left scrambling for vaccines on the first day younger children are eligible after doses failed to arrive on time.
Balwyn Health Care were due for delivery a week ago but the shipment still had not arrived on Monday.
A revised arrival date has yet to be locked in, with GP Dr Mary-Anne Lancaster saying the clinic has no idea when the doses will arrive.
“We have not been able to contact the centre, they won’t answer our calls, they won’t answer the emails and we’re not allowed to go pick them up ourselves,” she told 3AW.
Admin staff were left to deal with disgruntled parents after Dr Lancaster said vaccine centres didn’t return the clinic’s calls.
“We’re going to have to cancel, as are a lot of other clinics, the kids today,” she said.
“Our receptionists absolutely cop it from the patients unfortunately … but it is totally out of our control.”
Australians aged between five and 11 are eligible to receive their first Covid vaccine dose on Monday.
The head of the COVID-19 vaccine task force Lieutenant General John Frewen said parents should be flexible when trying to find a vaccination appointment.
“If they can’t get an appointment in with their primary health provider, their GP, then they should try around the pharmacies, they should try at some of the state and territory clinics,” he told ABC News Breakfast.
“There is enough vaccine and there are enough points of distribution. It’s just about a little bit of patience.
“It’s sometimes hard to predict exactly where the demand will be.”
Primary care providers and state clinics placed were able to place orders for children’s doses from December 11.
Orders made by December 17 were delivered last week, while those lodged after that date are due to arrive this week.
There are more than 10,000 vaccination sites across the country with 1.9 million doses set to be delivered in the first two weeks of children aged five to 11 becoming eligible.
COVID jabs now available for younger children in NSW
Sydney: Vaccinations for children aged five to 11 began on Monday with parents and carers urged to book their children an appointment as soon as possible.
Premier Dominic Perrottet said the Pfizer vaccine Comirnaty was available for the roughly 720,000 children in that age group across the state.
“More than 18,000 kids aged five to 11 have caught COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, which highlights why vaccination is so important,” Mr Perrottet said.
“We saw a great vaccination response for children aged 12-15 years, so we hope parents will book in their younger children before they start or go back to school.”
The vaccines are available from general practitioners, community pharmacies, NSW Health clinics and other providers such as Aboriginal Medical Services.
The NSW government is also reminding people aged 18 and older that they can get a booster shot at least four months after receiving their second dose of any of the COVID-19 vaccines registered for use in Australia.
NSW Health has so far delivered more than 326,027 booster doses.
Bookings can be made at a NSW Health clinic, GP or pharmacy via the COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Finder.
$40m to support breast care nursing program
Canberra: The Federal Government will provide an extra $40 million to assist the McGrath Foundation in its goal of providing a nurse to every breast cancer patient no matter where they live or what their financial situation.
“Too many families around Australia are affected by this terrible disease, whether it be mums, grandmothers, sisters, daughters, co-workers or friends,” said Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
“The additional funding for the McGrath Foundation will help ensure that as many of these people and their families can receive the support of a breast care nurse.”
The funding ensures the program will be extended for another three years.
McGrath Foundation chief executive Holly Masters said she was grateful for the funding and encouraged people across Australia to continue to support the cause.
“Australians always come together for a good cause, which is why they have embraced the McGrath Foundation and the iconic Pink Test,” Ms Masters said.
New measures in place to ease burden on NSW healthcare system
Sydney: The NSW Government has announced several precautionary measures to provide additional support for the health system ahead of an anticipated peak in COVID-19 cases later this month.
“To alleviate pressure on the hospital system and staff, we’re extending the usual holiday suspension of non-urgent elective surgery through to February and will use private hospital capacity where needed,” Premier Dominic Perrottet said on Monday.
“Public health orders will also be updated next week to include a requirement that people report their positive Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) results.”
Some amendments to restrictions in social settings have also been made. Until January 27, singing and dancing will be prohibited in pubs, clubs, nightclubs, restaurants, entertainment facilities and major recreation facilities. The prohibition will not apply for weddings.
Meanwhile, the NSW government is continuing to encourage people to take extra precautions to reduce their risk of contracting the disease.
People are being urged to limit large household gatherings and gather outdoors where possible. They are also advised to stay seated when drinking in hospitality venues.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the best way to keep communities safe was through the booster program which provides protection “not only for you, but for your colleagues and loved ones”.
“Anybody for whom vaccination was mandatory already, will now have boosters mandated,” he said.
“This means for people working in particular settings to be classified as fully vaccinated, they will now need to have had three shots.”
Please find further information from NSW Health here.
Former U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo 'Changed'... Lose 41 kg in 6 months
Former Secretary of State Pompeo said in an interview with the New York Post on the 6th that he had lost about 40.8kg in the past six months. He, who is 180 cm tall, is said to have decided to lose weight when he first saw 136 kg approaching when he climbed the scale on June 14 last year.
Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who served as director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) during the former Trump administration and was considered the most powerful, recently succeeded in losing as much as 40 kg.
Former Secretary of State Pompeo said in an interview with the New York Post on the 6th (local time) that he had lost about 40.8 kg in the past six months.
He, who is 180 cm tall, is said to have decided to lose weight when he first saw 136 kg approaching when he climbed the scale on June 14 last year.
The next morning, I told my wife, "Today is that day," and after that, "I started to lose weight by exercising and eating right almost every day."
He said that the basement of the house was decorated as a home gym with dumbbells and an elliptical machine (elliptical exercise equipment), and he tried to stay for 30 minutes five or six times a week.
There were no trainers or nutritionists.
He recalled that he began to gain weight in earnest when he was elected to the Kansas State House of Representatives in 2010.
He said that he gained nearly 100 pounds (about 45 kg) due to a foot injury 10-11 years ago, and he 'confessed' that he used a chronic condition in his feet as an excuse for not losing weight.