EXTRA PRECAUTIONS: Blow to Australians as mutant threat revealed





EXTRA PRECAUTIONS: Blow to Australians as mutant threat revealed

JANUARY 22, 2021

(See translation in Arabic section)

Australia will force returned travellers infected with a mutant strain of COVID-19 into an extended period of quarantine.

The spread of a mutant strain from the UK has led to changes in the way Australia will handle those who are diagnosed.

Australia’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Professor Michael Kidd, told a press conference on Friday that 48 counties had been impacted by the new strain and that Australia had seen 48 cases.

He said the other mutant strain out of South Africa had been confirmed in 12 cases in Australia.

Both strains are believed to spread more freely than the original strain.

Professor Kidd said 1 per cent of all international arrivals into Australia had been diagnosed with COVID but those diagnosed with the new strains would be forced to quarantine for longer.


 














Copyright 2007 mideast-times.com